CREATE A STUNNING DEEP BUTTONED
Diamond tufted benches are everywhere. Very few have been executed with the handmade precision and craftsmanship involved in true traditional deep buttoning. Done right, they’re beautiful, classic, practical, and they give any bedroom that finishing touch that exudes luxury and style.
You can learn how to create a custom boudoir bench for your bedroom or any room in your house.
- Custom deep buttoned benches can cost anywhere from $1200 to $3500!
- Deep buttoning is a time consuming upholstery technique that upholsterers charge their clients top dollar to create for them.
- You’ve searched for tutorials, videos and books about deep buttoning, but you just need and want someone to explain it to you, show you how it’s done, tell you how to get it right.
- It’s no secret that qualified upholstery teachers are few and far between. If you’re tired of searching high and low for a class, your problems are solved. Help has arrived.
Upholstery Knockouts is a series of online courses modeled after our most successful and popular live studio classes. The curriculum has been mindfully developed in response to a growing demand for classes provided by experienced and professional upholsterers, both for aspiring upholsterers, as well as those wanting to learn how to create unique furnishings in response to decor and design trends. Either way, it’s not easy to find the simplified, personal, as well as professional instruction you need. The best part of it is that you can ‘go to class’ at your convenience.
This exclusive online specialty course, presented by Upholstery Knockouts, brings upholstery class to you, in the comfort of your own home, on your own schedule, with the guidance and feedback of a professional upholsterer as your instructor.
Upholstery Knockouts: Create a Stunning Deep Buttoned Boudoir Bench is a four week online upholstery course that will gently and patiently guide you, encourage you, and inspire you through the step by step process of creating your own bench frame, padding it up, and upholstering it using the authentic traditional deep buttoning methods.
Combined with modern, more readily available and reasonably priced materials, this online course will teach you how to create a low cost, high impact, design rich piece of upholstered furniture for yourself, or to sell.
Ready to Sign Up?
Create a Stunning Deep Buttoned Boudoir Bench is a four week online course that begins Monday, July 7, 2014 and runs through July 31st, (think of it as UPHOLSTERY SUMMER CAMP). The full course is only $225.00, but register by June 15th and you save over $45.00!
Students from the first class are already designing, selling and creating deep buttoned benches and headboards for themselves, as well as their clients. You only need to sell two of your benches for at least $179.00 to make a 100% profit on your investment!
What Students Say:
The online format of Upholstery Knockouts is an ideal way to learn basic upholstery skills. Being able to watch and rewatch the videos was fantastic, especially for some of the more complicated techniques. My favorite part of the class was our Facebook group! We shared our successes, helpful tips, frustrations, supply sources, and my favorite—pictures of final projects!
–Emily Rosenfeld Mengel, UPHOLSTERY KNOCKOUTS JAN 2014
As a member of Upholstery Knockouts,
- you’ll be getting the same knowledge, information and demonstrations that have proven successful in my live classes and workshops
- you’ll get to work on your projects when it suits you, even in your jammies, if you want
- you’ll learn exactly how to build, pad and upholster a deep buttoned bench that you’ll be proud to display in your home
- you’ll learn the traditional British method of deep buttoning (or diamond tufting with deep buttons)
- you’ll get to ask your questions and get them answered
- you’ll gain confidence by building your upholstery knowledge and skill base
- you’ll be inspired by all of the possibilities surrounding upholstery as a hobby and profession
- you’ll connect with like minded creatives around the world who share your interest in fabric, furniture and learning the centuries old craft of upholstery
- you’ll experience a sense of accomplishment and pride in building and creating a piece of upholstered furniture
- you’ll reignite your creativity
About your Teacher:
I’m Shelly Leer, upholsterer, writer, educator and designer. After twenty years of owning my own upholstery studio, working for designers, shops, and designing children’s furniture and accessories, I turned my attention to teaching. As a former featured writer for Curbly.com, a contributor to Apartment Therapy Chicago, Huff Post Home, and currently a contributor to HOUZZ.com, I’ve learned how to simplify the sometimes mysterious craft of upholstery and present it in its proper form to a rapidly growing market.
I started ModHomeEc.com to share all of my knowledge and experience in creating stylish and high quality home furnishings that don’t look homemade; it seemed only natural to begin to teach others. My local studio is home to live upholstery and sewing classes, as well as a variety of home furnishing workshops. We’re proud to attract and teach students from coast to coast.
Whether you’re feathering your own nest or you want to add upholstered furniture to your shop offerings, I know how frustrating it can be if you can’t find a teacher or a class that provides the guidance and comprehensive instruction you want and need.
Using modern materials mixed with traditional upholstery methods, you will learn the deep buttoning technique I learned in Wales. This time honored technique is easily transferable to chair backs, settees, ottomans, banquettes and headboards. It’s a skill you simply must have in your upholstery skills ‘toolbox’.
If you’ve searched in vain for the perfect, stylish, deep buttoned bench, but they all seem cheaply made, lack individuality and simply don’t have the quality of workmanship you demand, this course is for you. You’ll learn everything you need to know in order to create a deep buttoned bench that’s a guaranteed show stopper.
*Be advised: your friends will want you to make them one.
Well made, deep buttoned benches can can cost a fortune. When I decided that I wanted a deep buttoned bench for my master bedroom, I found nothing in the retail market that measured up to my expectations, as well as fitting my budget. I knew I could make exactly what I wanted, and I knew I could do it the right way. That’s what I’m sharing with you. The skills you’ll learn can easily be applied to a wide array of deep buttoned furnishings over and over again.
This course is for you if:
- You want to create a brilliant deep buttoned bench for your boudoir
- You want to add deep buttoned (diamond tufted) pieces to your vintage furniture business
- You want to create beautiful, practical benches to present as gifts for family and friends
- You want to make a deep buttoned headboard and footstools
- You want to add deep buttoning to your upholstery skill set so that you’ll have it when you need it
Here’s how the online course works:
* Course content will be delivered to you in an online classroom, which is a closed WordPress site. You’ll get to ‘walk around’ the classroom a few days before class starts and get the feel of things. Class content will be available to you for six months after this class session is completed.
* Class content will be delivered on Monday and Friday mornings through audio, video demonstrations, clear, detailed photo-tutorials and downloadable worksheets. All of the content can be accessed and reviewed later through the online classroom so that you can do the work when it suits your schedule. However, it’s suggested that you stay current in order to take advantage of the FB group discussions.
* You’ll have access to our FB group where you can post questions, comments, frustrations and triumphs throughout the class. The group members on FB are you classmates. Some discussions will be minimal, while others will be quite robust. It’s exhilarating to interact with others who share your enthusiasm for learning the ins and outs of upholstery.
* The Facebook Group Page is also a place for you to post photos of your work in progress, get feedback and ease frustrations if you’re stumped by some aspect of your project.
**Schedule may be rearranged a bit, if necessary.
What Students Say:
I have always wanted to learn how to upholster and had no luck locally with class or teachers in my area (Northern Massachusetts). I decided to look online to see if I could find a source online that would be a good starting point. I came across modhomeec.com and decided to sign up to follow along with the blogs and discovered that Shelly taught online beginner classes. Being a little hesitant to sign up for an online course I thought about it and quickly dismissed the idea. A few weeks later I got an e-mail regarding a sale on the class for St. Patrick’s Day and took it as a sign and thought why not give it a try.
I am so glad I did!! Not only is the class fun and creative but it’s also easy to follow with the videos but also the convenience of watching the videos in your own free time was so helpful with my full time job. Shelly is a fabulous teacher and is always so quick to respond to any questions or concerns you might have. Shelly is also your biggest supporter along the way, pushing you to challenge yourself and go for it!I would take another class without hesitation the reward of the finished product and the confidence it builds is worth it all!
–Deirdre Desrosiers, UPHOLSTERY KNOCKOUTS JANUARY 2014
Ready to Sign Up?
Create a Stunning Deep Buttoned Boudoir Bench is a four week online course that begins Monday, July 7, 2014, (think of it as UPHOLSTERY SUMMER CAMP). The full course is only $225.00, but register by June 15th and you save over $45.00!
When does this class start? Create Stunning Deep Buttoned Bench starts Monday, June 2014 and continues for four weeks.
Do you need special skills to take this class? This is a beginning level upholstery class, but you should have an aptitude for working with fabric and materials, as well as basic carpentry to build your bench frame.
What time do we meet? The course content is posted online in our virtual classroom which you can access any time, day or night.
How much time will it take, what happens if I get behind? Everyone works at a different pace, some may complete their piece each week, others may need more time. The course content is available to you to review as needed. If you’re getting behind, you can still be an active member in the Facebook group. It’s recommended that you keep up with the course work, but this is a no stress class.
Can I go back to previous lessons? Absolutely!
Do you have to know how to sew? NO!
What if I don’t have all of those tools? In our pre-course work and information, I’ll show you how to make do with more common tools you may have around your house. Though you will need an electric stapler (preferably upholstery specific) and a few upholstery specific tools and materials.
How do I know if this class is for me? If you’ve wanted to learn upholstery, can’t find a class or a teacher, have tried following video tutorials, but need the guidance and instruction of a professional upholsterer with over 25 years of experience, then Upholstery Knockouts has come to your rescue. I can’t physically travel around the world teaching classes, but I can virtually come right into your home and give you the instruction, support and encouragement you need to build your skills.
When will I know if I got into the class? Once you register, you’ll get a PayPal confirmation. You’ll receive an email from me within a few days after you register. Then, you’re IN and I’ll be sharing class specific information to help you get ready for the course.
What Students Say:
I’ve always wanted to learn upholstery but felt intimidated. When I finally got the nerve, I luckily came across Shelly ‘s online course. Not only was I able to go at my own pace, Shelly ‘s clear and thorough instructions were easy to follow and fun! Along with Shelly ‘s wealth of knowledge and support from other classmates, I feel more confident than ever.
–Jennifer Landers, UPHOLSTERY KNOCKOUTS SPRING 2014
Ready to Sign Up?
Create a Stunning Deep Buttoned Boudoir Bench is a four week online course that begins Monday, July 7 , 2014, (think of it as UPHOLSTERY SUMMER CAMP). The full course is only $225.00, but register by June 15th and you save over $45.00!
What Students Say:
An email received from student Teresa Michel:
I wanted to give you two thumbs up on the class. I am loving every minute of this and can’t wait for each new project we are working on. You do such an amazing job teaching us how to go from start to finish and the instructions are so easy to follow. I think I have a question and then before I can even write it down you answer it. This has really consumed my life… I keep expanding what I look at now, before I really concentrated on headboards and trying to them the best I could but know.. I’m looking at ottomans and chairs but I have to draw the line at sofas.
–Teresa Michel, UPHOLSTERY KNOCKOUTS JANUARY 2014
What you’ll need to take this course:
Tools and Materials
(This list of materials is for a 29″ long bench, we will discuss options.)